GelGree is a sensitive, stable and environmentally safe green fluorescent nucleic acid dye designed to stain either dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in agarose gels. It is far more sensitive than SYBR® Safe. Unlike SYBR® dyes, which are known to be unstable, GelGreen is very stable, both hydrolytically and thermally. GelGreen™ is compatible with either a 254 nm UV transilluminator or a gel reader equipped with visible light excitation (such as blue LED light box, 488 nm laser-based gel scanner, or Dark Reader).
Figure: staining with Ethidium bromide and GelGreen in same conditions
- Safer than EB: Shown by the Ames test and other tests to be nonmutagenic and noncytotoxic
- Easy disposal: Passed environmental safety tests for direct disposal down the drain or in regular trash
- Ultra-sensitive: Much more sensitive than EtBr and SYBR® Safe
- Extremely stable: Available in water, stable at room temperature for long-term storage and microwavable
- Simple to use: Very simple procedures for precast or post-electrophoresis gel staining
- Compatible with a standard UV transilluminator or a gel reader with visible light excitation: Replaces SYBR® or GelStar® with no optical setting change
- Compatible with downstream applications: Compatible with gel purification, restriction digest, sequencing and cloning.